The Fisherman’s Haunt was originally built as a private home in 1673. Once called the Plaish House, the pub teemed with fishermen in their welly boots and waterproofs, discussing the weather and the day’s fishing. The River Avon meandering past Christchurch offers fabulous fishing – although as one of the major ports in England, it was also a lucrative spot for smugglers.
The Avon Weir across the road also earned the pub the nickname Splash House. Later on, around the 19th century, the pub was rebuilt in brick, replacing the thatching with a more modern roof. In 2008, the pub went through another round of restoration – this time expanding in the process – to become The Fisherman’s Haunt that locals know and love today.